05 January 2010

Wow, I Haven't Written Since......


Would it be too lame to say it?


Anyway, here's my "literary" quote for the post:

"'Names,' she was saying. 'Where would we woodtrolls be without them? They tame the wild things of the deepwoods, and give us our own identity. Ne'er sip of a nameless soup, as the saying goes.'"                                          ------ Paul Stewart, Beyond the Deepwoods 

It seemed kind of relevant since last fall I studied the development of the novel which, interesting enough, outlined the rise of the individual. Naming was a big theme. The importance of what we associate our selves with stretches back even to Moll Flanders, where an ignorant little girl desires to be a gentlewoman. But enough of this, lets talk holidays.

Here is cheer, in the form of yarn:



Kindness, in the form of Fetching gloves, knitted by Theo:



And hospitality, in the form of food:



We had a big New Years party at our house (again) this year, and I decided to try Ms. Ree's Chesse Puffs. My mom inisits on calling them fondue bread. I thought I'd photo-log the process, but the kitchen was a bit of a mess, here are the pictures I did take:




If you're interested in making these (and you should, they're not only easy and delicious, they're also a nice change from candy canes) you might be interested to hear that when I doubled the recipe I neglected to double the butter. Bad llama. But seriously, the kitchen didn't explode, the cheese didn't curdle, and Ms. Ree did not hunt me down demanding that I strictly adhere to her fat content.

Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic.

After the Cheese puffs where in the frezzer my mom talked me into making carrot soup. Don't laugh, but my carrot soup recipe comes directly from the Samantha cookbook - except mom dosen't keep half and half on hand so I had to use heavy cream instead. I guess that was my karma for not doubling the butter.




Anyway, this was just a quick post to let everyone know I was still alive, and should be back tomorrow to review The Good Earth, which I finally finished yesterday. I'm also hoping review some of the books I was forced to read during the fall. I've realized that I'm really bad at talking about books. I either say too much ("Well, it was about this guy, a hobbit, who was forced into an adventure by a wizard, and, have you ever read Lord of the Rings? Okay, because it ties into that, and the man, his name is Bilbo, has all these adventures......) or I say too little (like "it was a good book" which means nothing).  Until tomorrow then, I remain,


Sincerely yours,
Ms. B




P.S. Just a follow up of the last post, I visited Pablo's scifi poll and realized that I had left science out of my equation. I still think scifi is mostly about society, but there has to be some kind of science in there too, right? So here's the big question, is Stargate science fiction?  What about the new Startrek movie?

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I didn't even notice the missing half of butter. You'll have to make them again some time so we can compare the difference. I loved your line about karma. Great post. Great photos. <3

    ReplyDelete