21 February 2009

Progress

I think that, if technology can be said to have affected any area of our lives over that of another, the greatest impact has come to our perception of time. In times past, if you wanted to make the world intimate with your every thought and feeling, you'd have to spend a life time keeping a journal, and then hope that your family was enterprising enough to try to publish it. But now you can not only publish autobiographies before you reach the tender age of forty, you can also blog your everyday, and twitter your every thought. We no longer have the patience to wait for our deaths to share our cognitive gems, we want the world to have them now. 

Likewise with pictures. Centuries ago, if you had knit a pair of Nutkin socks and wanted to let an acquaintance see them, you would be forced to wait hours while the picture was painted. Then, in all likelihood, your acquaintance wouldn't receive it until a week later. But now you can spend less than twenty minutes taking photos of your sock-clad feet, take two hours googling "trouble importing," spend ten minutes taking the silliest pictures imaginable with Photo Booth, and, in short, expect her to see them before dinner. 


Nutkin Photo-shoot 1


Nutkin Photo-shoot 2
Originally uploaded by smaykull

Pattern: Nutkin
Yarn: Lorna Laces Shepherd Sock (a gift from Theo
Modifications: I believe I stuck mainly to the pattern; though, I did change the heel on the second sock, and by the time I got to the toes I was done being experimental and fancy, and so opted to do a row of purling and a boring, evenly decreased, toe instead of the prescribed turned toe, with its three-needle-bind-off. But other than that, yes. I followed the pattern. 




Further apologies for these photos. I don't foresee my camera magically complying to my every whim anytime soon, so I can't promise you anything better. I guess I'm going to have to start digging onto my Japan files in order to illustrate these post. What a shame.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Sock pictures! I'm so Jealous that you managed to finish a complete pair ^___^

    ReplyDelete