26 February 2009

Beggars' Pancakes

Sometime last week I sat down to tell you about Beggars' Pancakes, the pancakes you make without eggs,  without milk, or sometimes without a recipe. But it was too nice out last week. One day I took my work outside, sat in the sun and the wind, and took photos of the grass. Pretty Photos. Photos I can't share with you because my camera has gone on strike. It has yet to make it's demands clear, but I know an engineer who will hopefully be able to work out a compromise. 
                    Because of the good weather, and my papers and exams, I haven't knit much besides fish, which aren't interesting to talk about. But today there was ice covering every tree branch, and frozen dewdrops on each blade of grass. There is a team of people who help set up the campus' stage for church, and as I am one them, I get to wake up early Sunday mornings and brave the outside world. Today, as I walked back to my room, I could hear the groaning of the small saplings as they tried to support their icy burden. The larger, more mature trees shivered and yawned in the slight wind. Once or twice I heard the bright chirp of the early bird. By the time church was over everything had thawed out. 

And then it started to snow. 

                    It has been falling steadily for over an hour now, but we've got less than an inch to show for it. The incredible dampness of the ground  deterred the snow from feeling welcome, I'm afraid, but it's all right now. I'm listening to Christmas music on Pandora, trying to cross off my weekend to-do list, and dreaming of starting Cookie A.'s Hedera while curled up near a glowing fire. Dreaming is right. I have no access to a fireplace, but I do have Sundara sock yarn and a, practically, free evening. 

What do you do to enjoy a winter's day?


   A different kind of snow

No comments:

Post a Comment