16 March 2009

A is for......

              Atlanta. She was the alarmingly aberrant lady who didn't want to get married after her first love died (his mother killed him by burning a log. A surprising effective, long-distance murder). But her father refused to have her stay single, so the two struck a bargain. She would race her suitors, with her hand as the prize. The version of the story that I read as child described her as faster than the wind. I can close my eyes even now and see her, her hair streaming out behind her, laughing as she outran that elusive element. 
               This week I read Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers, which was amazing, and I thought I'd write something about the awkwardly average, just to prove that I do read outside of school. But then I spent the weekend glued to the hulu-dominated* screen of my computer while the dashing Remington Steele fought, looked handsome, and stole all Ms. Holt's credit. Now, Monday, I am all worn out. I feel like Atlanta. I was determined to run the race, I enjoy the race – though, in this case the race refers to writing an essay, and my enjoyment of that is debatable. But then I spied this curious, shiny thing and, as if drawn to it, I stopped and picked it up. Once. Twice. If I watch the third season I feel I will strike out, so I'm making vain plans to keep my self busy instead. I really hate feeling addicted to something, it's awful. 
 












                 One of the worst things is that I didn't get enough sleep, which makes me such a drama queen. I even woke up this morning and put tea bags on my eyes. Yes, I sometimes dream I'm Laura Lamount, that the world is my stage, and that I've a perfect right to mutter under my breath as I walk the hallways, or chuckle darkly as I type up the final version of my paper.I find my self shrugging my shoulder, my left one, constantly. My classmates can't be blamed if they think I've developed a twitch. 
                But, life is also good. When the sun comes out I'll give you all a taste of my overskirt for the Civil War Ball I'll be attending in two weeks. Three cheers to moms who know how to  sew and are willing to sacrifice time, sleep, and their last bite of ice cream. I hope one day I can have such love.   




*If you have never heard of Hulu, run for the hills! If you have experienced it yourself then you know just what a curse it is. "And the best part is there is nothing you can do to stop it. I mean, what are you going to do, turn off you TV and your computer?" (Hulu ad)





Look! It's the elusive Endpaper Mitt, 
clutching a japanese Sweet potato! 

No comments:

Post a Comment